Thursday, October 29, 2015

Tumbler Quilt...

I am almost finished my Halloween tumbler quilt...

This one has been a long time in the works.  I really wanted to have it out before Halloween this year.

I thought I would bind it in black...but today when I started auditioning black fabrics from my stash they all looked a bit washed out.  I wasn't sure if it was the fabric or my eyes (having optic neuritis issues this week...makes everything a bit dull...)  I was really frustrated when ...

I almost tripped over this purple polka dot fabric that had auditioned for the "role" of elephant in a baby quilt I on my design wall...it didn't make the cut but didn't make it back to it's spot in the stash either!  Lucky for me...

So purple it is....

Also, I'm trying a new quilting product.  These little "caps" for the ends of pins are so much easier for me to handle than safety pins!

A friend was using them at retreat last month.

 She really liked them (they are all the funky little white and red "dots")so I went online and got a few bags to try!  So far so good...

5 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

yay, love that Halloween tumber. the fussy cutting on toilet paper mummy is perfecto. I've also heard of using ear plugs on the ends of straight pins. you can buy those in bulk. don't know how they compare though.

Torry said...

I love the ideas I get from your blog! Thank you! Today I made an easy Halloween pillow. I bought a like new sweatshirt at a consignment shop, cut a piece from the front for the front of the pillow and did the same from the back. Sewed them together, stuffed it and whip-stitched the opening closed. Pillow done and it has the cutest witches hats on it to match my Halloween décor.

It was nice to get a little project done in a few minutes, but I know that your finish was even more rewarding!

jirons42 said...

I have seen some people using the long pretzel erasers from places like Target and cutting them into 1/2 inch pieces for the end of the pins. One gal said she got about 200 pieces from a $6 pack of erasers.

Janet O. said...

The purple is a great way to finish off this quilt.
I've seen Leah Day use these pinmoors in her tutorials. I've been afraid they wouldn't stay in my large quilts well with all the manhandling they get as I manhandle them at my machine. I'll be interested to hear if they make the grade for you.

Feathers in my Nest said...

Oh, I Love your Halloween quilt! fabrics are great..I made one of these a couple years ago in the 2.5" size..and quilted it the same as yours!..The purple is perfect.